Kashmir Civitas demands the release of all Kashmiri political prisoners – including leaders of the resistance, who have been kept under illegal detention, house arrest or imprisoned under brutal conditions. We demand an end to the Hindutva fascist Indian’s oppression, culture of harassment, and state-sponsored terrorization of peaceful Kashmiri civil society representatives through false testimony, bogus charges – if at all, and sham court cases.
The Kashmiri aspiration for freedom, from the Indian military occupation, is resolute, firm and undeniable. Dynamic mass mobilizations, bringing out hundreds of thousands of Kashmiris onto the streets, are testament to this. The Indian occupation forces have responded to this massive outpouring of public discontent through brutal killings, debilitating injuries – such as intentional blinding and maiming, and sweeping incarcerations – even of children. Using brutal laws like Public Safety Act (PSA), thousands of Kashmiri youth, children and peaceful activists have been detained. Amnesty International has called PSA a ‘lawless law.’
Kashmir Civitas demands the following:
- Immediate Release of all Kashmiri political prisoners.
- Grant Access to United Nation’s representatives to verify accusations of rape, sexual assault and other sadistic forms of torture/molestation against men, women and children in Indian jails.
- End Indian state-sponsored terrorism and culture of impunity against those Kashmiris who express their civil and political rights.
- Revocation of the Draconian Laws like AFSPA and PSA that allow for indefinite detention without charges or trial.
- Initiate Political Process with genuine Kashmiri representatives as represented by the Hurriyat Conference and Pakistan that will lead to decolonization, demilitarization and the UN sponsored plebiscite in disputed territory.
BELOW IS A PARTIAL LIST OF KEY KASHMIRI LEADERS ARRESTED BY THE INDIAN OCCUPATION FORCES